Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Went to a Christmas marathon meeting this morning...

I held my tongue and let people prattle on about God and the Steps. I was there because I was grateful that I had a sober Christmas morning, and that room had been somehow instrumental in getting me to this place. I shared from my heart. I mentioned I had achieved some measure of sobriety without a Higher Power and the Steps. But I didn't harp on this fact. I was content and at peace. The others with their god, bible, and steps didn't bother me ... that simply was not what happened to me. There's a lot of the program I agree with, that I have been helped by. For example, page 84 of the Big Book reads:
Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. Love and tolerance of others is our code.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol.

This is my program. No twelves, no sequence or order. Just simple principles that have become part of my habits and my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home